May 4, 2016

Everyday Makeup: Drugstore Edition


 
With high-end foundations alone ranging from $30 to $45, some days I can’t justify wearing my expensive make-up, especially when I have drugstore products that work just as well! On those days I turn to my trusty, affordable favorites to ensure that I still look nice without “wasting” my more expensive products.

Without a doubt my favorite drugstore foundation is the Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour foundation. It provides a full coverage that dries to a luminous satin finish. I have combination skin and this doesn’t cling to my dry areas or look greasy in my oily ones, so I think this would suit a range of skin types! I’ve been preferring this one over my MAC Studio Sculpt because it feels so light on the skin. Perfect for the warmer weather!

For my under-eye circles I like to use a combination of concealers. I start with a tiny amount of a heavy-duty concealer, the Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer (which is meant to cover tattoos!). They don’t make this in many shades, so I use the lightest one to cover my dark circles and then apply a more aqueous concealer, the Rimmel Wake Me Up, to brighten the area and help it match my skin tone.

Next I like to do some light contouring to add some dimension to my face. A surprising find was the Wet N Wild Coloricon ContouringPalette in Caramel Toffee, which includes a neutral matte bronzer and a matte highlight shade. I don’t use the highlight because I prefer something with a glow, but the bronzer is really nice! It’s smooth, nicely pigmented, and easy to blend. Many drugstore matte bronzers are chalky or too warm for me, but this one is really nice and an absolute bargain! For a highlight I really enjoy the Flower Glisten Up Highlighter chubby in Pearl Shimmer, which I’ve talked about far too often, but it’s been a favorite of mine for months! It’s a pretty, pale gold cream highlighter in stick form. I like to swipe it across my cheekbones, blend it with my fingers, and then use my fingers to apply a little bit to my cupid’s bow and my brow bones.

 
I’ve been loving a rose-toned eye for spring so two drugstore eyeshadow products immediately come to my mind! The first, which is a recent purchase that I’ve been obsessed with, is the L’Oreal infallibleeyeshadow in Amber Rush. This creamy, uber-pigmented shadow is the most beautiful rose gold shade. The second is a tiny quad from Bonne Bell, one of their eyeshadowbox’s in Girlie Pinks. The shadows are nice and smooth and I love the four pink shades that are included! Combined, they create a subtle rosy eye look that is gorgeous for spring.

For a variety of eyeliner looks, I like using a liquid eyeliner pen like the Revlon Colorstay in Blackest Black. The felt tip makes winged liner easier to apply but you can also do something less bold with it.

Another recent find that is popular in the beauty blogging world is the Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara. Everyone and their mother raves about this product and I’m glad to say it lives up to the hype! It provides fluttery, voluminous lashes and the curved wand makes it easy to grip the lashes and help them hold a curl. I wish I would’ve tried this sooner!

And finally, there are no drugstore lipsticks that I like better than the Kate Moss for Rimmel line. I narrowed it down to two lipsticks that I like for spring, a nude and a coral shade. The nude is #45 from the most recent nude lipstick line (pale pink tube) and it is a cool-toned mauvey nude. It’s one of those ‘my lips but better’ shades that you can just throw on whenever you want an easy lip look! For a brighter color, I like #32 from the original Kate line (black tube) and it’s a richly pigmented, creamy coral shade. Both are hydrating, pigmented, and last a decent amount of time for a drugstore, non-matte lipstick! 
 
What are some of your favorite drugstore products?
Xx Katie
18 comments on "Everyday Makeup: Drugstore Edition"
  1. Love the Amber Rush color, it's so good and chic! And the Maybelline Lash Sensational is insanely good, definitely a fave! Xx

    www.thefashionfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some serious beautiful swatches! Can't wait to check these products out :)

    www.espressoyourselfblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks, if you like 32 you should definitely try 38, it's similar but slightly less orange toned, it's one of my favourite all time lipsticks!

    I also need to try that foundation, I love Wake Me Up!

    The Makeup Directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bought 32 I was actually looking for 38 but they didn't have it! I'll keep my eye out for it, I forgot I wanted that one haha x

      Delete
  4. I love drugstore makeup! I've never tried any products from wet n wild because I live in the UK but I wouldn't mind checking them out! I used to love the lash sensational mascara but then it went clumpy so I never use it anymore which is a shame! Great post! Xx

    Amyx Makeupwithmissa.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love drugstore makeup! The maybelline mascara is amazing! Other favorites are the maybelline dream velvet, loreal lumi primer, maybelline master concealer and their master primer collection.

    Nereyda│ This Girl Is Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love me some drugstore makeup especially that Maybelline mascara, it's my fave from the drugstore and Amber Rush shadow has always been a favorite.

    http://facetocurls.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Amber Rush is the next eyeshadow I'll be picking up. I have it in a different color, but I have been loving the rose gold lately.
    http://thenewoldfashionedgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, really enjoyed it!

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this post and the beautiful swatches! I think drugstore makeup is awesome but I'm a sucker for high-end foundations and palettes... My skin is very problematic so I find that a lot of cheaper foundations make me break out, a lot. :( <3 I'm totally lusting over that Amber Rush eyeshadow right now... The colour looks so gorgeous and I love the finish! I'm going to add it to my wishlist, so thank you for sharing! <3

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I usually expect high-end products to perform better!

      Delete
  10. Amber Rush and Pearl Shimmer both look so beautiful <3 I love Lash Sensational too - definitely my favourite even over high-end mascaras :) xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amber Rush is gorgeous!

    Also I'm the same, I have expensive make-up but can't justify wearing it on a daily basis - or ever actually so it just sits there ha!

    Cultivation of Jasmin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love drugstore products!! Those swatches look gorgeous. I love the girlie pinks :)xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. That highlighter looks stunning, I'm loving gold highlighters at the moment! I really like the Rimmel foundation, too, it's fantastic for the price :)

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber Rush is so beautiful! but I am all about Lash Sensational, it is so so good! love it!

    http://www.makeerinover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that mascara!!!! <3 Amazing post

    Amelia | http://amelia-g.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  16. These products look awesome. x

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9