June 30, 2016

June Pop Culture Favorites


Long time no see! As always this month seemed to fly by, but I have a lot more favorites than usual so I decided to split them up into two posts: pop culture and beauty favorites.


Another reason why I wanted to do two posts is because my phone is broken, therefore the only camera I have is on my old iPod touch. While it’s okay to take one photo of some books and movies, I don’t like it for photos of swatches, palettes, etc. Anyway, my phone troubles are the reason I haven’t posted in ages! It should be fixed soon and then I’ll be posting regularly again. And hopefully I can recover the gorgeous holiday makeup photos I took before it broke!

At the beginning of the month I did a little bit of garage sale/thrift store shopping in the hopes of finding a new bookshelf, and ended up finding this gem instead: an Audrey Hepburn DVD collection. I already owned Breakfast at Tiffany’s, one of the DVD’s that was included in the set, but Sabrina and Roman Holiday are two of my favorites and it was a great deal so I don’t mind the repeat.

On the TV side of things, I’ve been doing an awful lot of binge-watching. Earlier this month I’ve been watching How I Met Your Mother, and then on the 17th the new season of Orange is the New Black came out. I watched the entire thing in about two days! The past few seasons I haven’t been super impressed (compared to the first season, at least) but I’m really happy with this one and I didn’t guess any of the plot twists, especially towards the end. If you’ve never seen this show I highly recommend it, although it can be very graphic. It’s about a woman named Piper who has to go to prison for a crime she committed almost ten years ago. In each episode, the backstory of one of the inmates is explored through flashbacks but there is also a lot of drama within the prison. The acting is amazing and the plot is so intense, this is one of my favorite shows!

After finishing OITNB there was a hole in my heart—you know what I mean—and I thought I would want to give myself a TV break, but then I discovered How to Get Away With Murder. This is only two seasons long but I’m seriously obsessed! It’s about five law school students who are chosen to work for their intense professor. They accompany her on cases while trying to cover up a murder they get involved in. I was hooked from the very first episode!

If you didn’t know already, I work as a shop assistant in a small touristy shop. On slow days I end up with a lot of free time, which a bookworm like myself uses to read. A lot. Conveniently, YouTuber Zoe Sugg released a video of her book recommendations so I picked up two from her list that sounded interesting: All the Bright Places and We Were Liars. Both were absolutely riveting! All the Bright Places is somewhat of a love story between a girl named Violet and a boy named Finch. Violet is popular but depressed after her older sister died, and Finch is considered very strange but he’s also somewhat depressed. I don’t want to give any spoilers but this book made me sob! The author also did a great job with the mental illness parts of the book, which is important to me as a psychology major.

The other recommendation, We Were Liars, is about a girl named Cadence who is from the wealthy Sinclair family. Every summer she spends on her grandfather’s island with her cousins. The group of cousins are nicknamed the Liars. There are flashbacks to former years on the island, but Cadence can’t remember many aspects from the summer she is fifteen. Slowly a lot of family secrets are revealed and it leads up to a huge plot twist!

The final books I’ve been enjoying this month are from a series called the Lying Game, which are written by the same author who wrote Pretty Little Liars. These books were also made into a show, but the show doesn’t follow the books closely at all and the show only lasted a few seasons. In my opinion the books are much better! Anyway, the series is about a foster child named Emma who discovers she has a twin sister named Sutton, who lives with a rich family in Arizona. Emma goes to meet Sutton and is essentially tricked into taking Sutton’s place. Emma later discovers that Sutton was murdered, and she knows that if people find out Sutton’s gone then she will be blamed for it. So the series is about trying to find out Sutton’s murderer and also Emma’s struggles to act like her twin sister.

That’s pretty much everything I’ve been watching and reading throughout June! I love recommendations, so let me know what you’ve been loving lately! And keep an eye out for my beauty favorites post!


Xx Katie
13 comments on "June Pop Culture Favorites"
  1. I love your favorites x Great post :)

    www.beautiliciousd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great faves! I haven't been watching too much TV of late since all the shows I watch are finish for the season. Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be able to sit down and watch some Netflix. I've seen the first season of Orange is the New Black, I'll catch up on the other episodes soon! x

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love all the bright places! It is such a great book! I haven't read we were liars so I will have to pick that one up and read it in the summer ! X

    Amyx Makeupwithmissa.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually fallen in love with my local library again, so really enjoying finding new books to read, will need to hunt these ones out, I loved PLL!

    Erin || MakeErinOver

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you finished OITNB, how did you like it? I cried for about 30 minutes after the last scene with Poussey, just tore my heart in little pieces.

    Have a great day beautiful, xx

    My Vogue Style | www.myvoguestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Breakfast at Tiffany's! I have watched Roman Holiday and Funny Face as well. I really love Audrey Hepburn, she is such a class act. I have not watched OITNB, or Game of Thrones, so I'm way out of touch with modern TV, except for the news, some reality shows, Travel channel, and reruns of Simpsons and Family Guys, haha

    Hannah
    Floraful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely lovely post xxx

    Check Out My Recent?
    www.hannahporterx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. x

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read We Were Liars and I loved it, love any books with a big twist! I also want to read All The Bright places it sounds so good!

    Lauren Ashleigh xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were Liars sounds interesting! I remember watching the first few episodes of the Lying Game, I can imagine the books would be better, that's always the way!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Currently reading All the bright places and I'm loving it! I also really love we were liars, it's one of my favourite books!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love reading The Lying Game! I watched the show when it came out as well but I'm pretty sure it got cancelled after a cliffhanger finale or something annoying like that. Maybe I should start re-reading the books again to fill the void.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9