October 19, 2016

October Empties


It's not every month I do an empties post...but when I do, I include a crap load of mascaras!


I'm honestly terrible at finishing products. Even my favorite makeup items get rotated out of my daily routine often so that each product I own gets used at least a little bit. This is a good way to use my collection, but not great for actually using up makeup. It's my dream to one day finish a lipstick!

Over the past few months I've been giving away a lot of my makeup that I don't enjoy using, especially eyeshadow palettes. I won't have them listed here as I gave them all to my mom and my sister, but I have gotten rid of more than is listed here! Let's start with the mascaras, which are all past their use-by date and needed to be decluttered.

Clinique High-Impact Mascara (sample size)
My aunt often gets free samples when she orders skincare from Clinique and she gifts them to me, which is how I got this mascara! I like small sizes for when I'm traveling and this one does the job. I particularly like it with my bottom lashes and it volumizes without clumping. I don't think I'd purchase a full size as I know of drugstore ones that do the same thing, but I'll happily take another sample of this. *Replaced with a newer sample of the same mascara

Smashbox X-Rated Mascara (sample size)
This was a sample I got from Ipsy and it's the only Smashbox product I've tried. Sadly I wasn't too impressed with this. Some people love and can pull off the clumpy-lash look, but that is not me! I used this up but I won't be purchasing the full size. *Replaced with a sample of Too Faced Better Than Sex

Maybelline Colossal Volume Express Mascara
This is by far my favorite drugstore mascara. While some Maybelline mascaras take a bit of drying out to work the way I want them to (ahem Lash Sensational ahem) this one is great right off the shelf. It gives a lot of natural-looking length and volume without clumping and I can see myself continuing to repurchase it, especially with a $5 price tag! *Repurchased

Mary Kay Lash Love Mascara in I <3 Plum
A different aunt of mine sells Mary Kay makeup and gave me a bundle of Mary Kay makeup last Christmas, including this purple mascara. I got the same one in black as well, but I used it more often so I decluttered it in my last empties post. I really like the wand on this, the bristles reach every lash and give them definition and length. The plum shade doesn't do much for me however, I have dark lashes naturally so you can't see the color at all on me. *Replaced with Covergirl Lashblast

Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara
I originally bought this because I heard it was a dupe for the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara, but now that I've tried both I don't think it's a dupe at all. The wand shape is a similar hourglass shape but Too Faced's bristles aren't as close together so it's better at coating the lashes in my opinion. The formula is also drier and it's more prone to clumping. It's not a bad mascara by any means and I know of a few people who like it, but it's not for me. *Didn't repurchase or replace because I have far too many mascaras open already

Now that the mascaras are discussed we can move onto the bulk of my finished products!

Curel Daily Moisture Lotion
I bought this ages ago and finally finished it. It's a thicker moisturizer for the face or a thin lotion for the body and can be used either way. I like it in the colder months for the face as it gives a lot of hydration and my skin dries out in the winter. In the summer I didn't use it as much, but I finished it up by using it on the body! I may repurchase this at some point but I'm going to try and finish some other lotions and moisturizers first.

Simple Micellar Cleansing Water Sample*
I received this in the Flawless Influenster box recently and was very excited to try it. I've only used one other Micellar water and it hadn't worked out for me, so I wanted to give a different brand a go. This one didn't really work for me either. I put it on a paper towel and tried to take my makeup off with it, but almost nothing came off. Maybe I'm supposed to use a cotton pad or a towel or something, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong! I want to like Micellar waters but they just do nothing for me so far.

Blistex Medicated Lip Balm Original
My family has always used this lip balm so I'm always stealing tubes from my mom's drawer. I always put this on before I go to sleep, which is probably why I run out of it so quickly! It's medicated so I like it better than other lip balms that are just hydrating. This one seems to sink into the lips and actually heal them. I decided to give Carmex a try because I couldn't find any new tubes of this in my mom's drawer!

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask Sample
I got this in a recent Ipsy bag and I've been using it once a week since. I got about 3 or 4 uses out of it and I think it did make my hair feel softer, at least for a few days after using it. It has a subtle scent to it. This has given me a love of doing hair masks on Sundays so I bought a full-size Origins one!

Hello Lovely Body Gel in Vintage Berries--No longer available
My friend got my this last February for my birthday and I started using it this summer. The texture of this shower gel is really cool, it's like Jell-O rather than soap. It lathers nicely and has a strong berry smell. I would try another body gel from this brand but I might get a different scent next time! The packaging is also lovely. *Replaced with Bath and Body Works shower gel in Warm Vanilla Sugar.

I always love doing these posts and hopefully I'll have another one for you next month! Have you finished any products recently?

Xx Katie


14 comments on "October Empties"
  1. I'm never able to finish my mascaras! I keep opening new ones and keeping the older ones... :(

    Laura | https://furiouslychic.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colossal mascara too, have to agree and say it's one of my favorites as well :)
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a different scandaleyes mascara that I like, here in Italy it's green not black and I adore it. I have then found that just the l'oreal hippie mascara can beat it.

    xx from italy
    Cate ღ kate/idoscope.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finishing a mascara is next to impossible! Also if you don't love a product, it makes it that much harder to actually finish it. Currently I've been loving the Maybelline colossal volume mascara as well!

    Lindsey Elyse | lindseyginge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear Lash Sensational formula has changed! It was way too wet when it was first launched but I repurchased it again last month and it was perfection from the first use.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big fan of the Simple Micelle water either. Of all the ones I've tried, it's at the bottom of my list because it is rubbish at removing makeup. I've been curious about the Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask.

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Clinique High Impact Mascara! Also, I'm currently having a Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment giveaway - I will be having a new giveaway every
    Friday with products from UD, Too Faced, Fresh, Hourglass and more. You should come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Garnier micellar water is the best I tried so far, you may want to give it a try! And use a cotton pad this time, a paper towel will absorb the liquid and that is why nothing comes off. This is a large number of mascaras to finish, I never get to do that, I always keep my old ones and keep buying new ones!

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good empties post, and girl, don't you get through a lot of mascara's haha. Have a lovely weekend :)

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many empties!! My mascara is getting to the end of it's cycle now, so I definitely need to pick up a new one asap xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. It always takes me ages to finish a mascara as I keep changing my mascara regularly. I am not a fan of X-Rated mascara, when I apply it, it feels like the formula kinda burns my eyes, did you have a similar feeling?

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
  12. I take such a long time to finish mascaras as I go through a rotation, but I'm definitely on the look out for a few new ones! I'll have a look at some of the ones you mentioned :)

    Georgia | The Weekend Attic

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have 5 mascaras open at the moment that I'm trying to get through before the dry up on me! I hardly ever finish makeup too, and getting through a lipstick, like you said, would be amazing! Haha!

    Maya | www.makeupnskinblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never used the Simple micellar water... My skin doesn't get on with it, but yes - use a cotton pad with the micellar water. I usually soak a cotton round with it and use it like that. WAY more effective than a paper towel ;)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9